There are two types of belts. The first is one that only needs wrapping around your body once; the second needs wrapping around your body twice. We have created a video to show you how to wrap your belt using a belt that wraps around your body once. The theory is the same for belts which wrap around your body twice.
When you are a new student and have your first dobok and your white belt one of the first things your instructors will teach you is how to tie your Taekwondo belt. Tying your Taekwondo belt correctly is very important.
View the video below and use it in combination with these instructions.
- For a single wrap belt, locate the centre and place it in the middle of your back. For a double wrap belt, locate the centre and place it on your belly button.
- Wrap your belt around both sides of your body. When pulled through to the front they should be equal lengths. For a double wrap round belt, wrap one side under the other. This must be neat.
- Put the right side of your belt over your left side. This will form a cross in front of your body.
- Pull that same part of the belt up through the cross and pull tight.
- Take the belt now on your right-hand side and turn it over towards your left-hand side.
- Thread the left-hand side of your belt through the hole that this has created and pull tight.
- Check that both sides of your belt are the same lengths. If they are not start again. If they are, you have now successfully learned how to tie your Taekwondo belt.